Development of an assessment of functioning tool based on the ICF Core Sets for ASD
This project will build on the considerable work conducted to investigate diagnostic practices of autism in Australia and develop national standards for autism diagnosis, where a clear need for a new assessment of functioning tool was established. See National Guideline for the Assessment and Diagnosis of Autism in Australia.
The World Health Organization’s International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF) and its associated diagnosis specific 'Core Sets' are valid and established frameworks for assessing functioning. The overall aim of this project is to co-produce user friendly descriptions for each item of the ICF Core Sets for Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), with the following objectives:
- Map items on existing standardised assessments against the ICF Core Sets for ASD
- Co-produce user friendly descriptions for each item of the ICF Core Sets for ASD
- Evaluate the clarity, salience and validity of these descriptions
- Share research findings with end-users.
- Ben Milbourn, Curtin University