Research evidence and policy landscape mapping
This project aimed to provide a review and synthesis of community views, research evidence, and policy relating to key service areas to be addressed in the National Autism Strategy. These areas include:
- early intervention and support
- health and mental health services
- justice (including legal, policing, judicial and custodial services).
Research in each service area included:
- an online survey gaining perspectives of more than 1,000 autistic people, their families/carers, and those who work to support them
- an umbrella review summarising research findings reported in systematic reviews
- a policy review summarising relevant federal, national, and state/territory level policy.
The integrated findings of each of the three forms of research highlighted gaps, and provide a strong foundation to clearly identify needs, issues and potential solutions to aid the development of the NAS.
These reports were delivered to the Department of Social Services in early July 2023.
- Dawn Adams, Griffith University
- Sonya Girdler, Curtin University