Development of an assessment of functioning tool based on the ICF Core Sets for Autism
This project will build on the considerable work conducted to investigate diagnostic practices of autism in Australia and develop national standards for autism diagnosis, where a clear need for a new assessment of functioning tool was established. See National Guideline for the Assessment and Diagnosis of Autism in Australia.
The International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF) is a World Health Organisation framework that can be used to measure health and disability. The ICF includes over 1600 categories (or codes) describing functioning across different areas (Body Functions and Structures, Activities and Participation, and Environmental Factors). Because the ICF is made up of so many codes, there are also shortlists of these codes that are relevant to certain health conditions. These are called the ICF Core Sets.
The overall aim of this project is to co-produce user friendly descriptions for each item of the ICF Core Sets for Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), with the following objectives:
- Map items on existing standardised assessments against the ICF Core Sets for ASD
- Co-produce user friendly descriptions for each item of the ICF Core Sets for ASD
- Evaluate the clarity, salience and validity of these descriptions
- Share research findings with end-users.
An assessment of functioning tool based on the ICF Core Sets for autism has been created. This assessment tool is designed for health professionals, but we have recently developed proxy- and self-report versions of the assessment. We expect these new versions will give us some more information about what individuals on the autism spectrum and their parents/caregivers believe can help or hinder the functional abilities of someone on the spectrum.
It is very important to assess functioning so that we can get a true picture of how well a person is able to do the things they need and want to do. It is also important to find out where they might need extra help or support.
This tool incorporates the definitions co-produced during the earlier stages of the project.
- Content validation of common measures of functioning for young children against the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health and Code and Core Sets relevant to neurodevelopmental conditionsPublished 8 Aug 2021
- Co-producing holistic proxy-and self-report assessment of functioning tools based on the International Classification of Functioning, Disability & Health (ICF) Core Sets for Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)Published 10 Jun 2020